Don't Diet- Detox!

Don't Diet- Detox!
Robyn Openshaw, Author of "The Green Smoothie Girl"

Wednesday, 26 April 2017

Food Be Medicine

Mango-Orange Chia Pudding for Breakfast: Layer Chia Pudding (vegan)
 with Puree made from 2 Mangos and an Orange

The Adventist "Health Message"

My husband  became an Adventist twenty-three years before I did.  We were relatively respectful of each other's chosen faith path ("nominal Catholic" in my case) and, as time went on, did not engage in debates over the corruption of the one denomination, or the cult-ishness of the other.  When we attended University in the '70s we belonged to a wholefood co-op that brought in the vegetarian foods and produce that we ordered as a collective.  A workmate of mine had introduced me to miso soup and the idea of eating vegetarian.  I read the seminal book of the time, "Diet for a Small Planet".  

I was rather amazed to find out about the vegetarian aspect of Seventh-day Adventism.  We were once invited to dinner at the Pastor's home and the wife served up a chick'n type analog casserole.  Rather than just saying how good it tasted, I went on and on about how fantastic it was that it tasted so much like "real chicken".  The Pastor's wife, who looked truly put-upon to begin with, became less and less...umm... hospitable as the dinner went on.

In the last General Conference Ellen White attended, in 1909, she presented a session on "Faithfulness in Health Reform" and stated the following:
We do not mark out any precise line to be followed in diet; but we do say that in countries where there are fruits, grains, and nuts in abundance, flesh food is not the right food for God's people. I have been instructed that flesh food has a tendency to animalize the nature, to rob men and women of that love and sympathy which they should feel for everyone, and to give the lower passions control over the higher powers of the being. If meat eating was ever healthful, it is not safe now. Cancers, tumors, and pulmonary diseases are largely caused by meat eating. {9T 159.2}
The Health Message was definitely a 'way in' for me at that time in my life as I became convinced that a healthy lifestyle with emphasis on a plant-based diet, rest, order, and natural healing was the best lifestyle for our young family.

When I attended my first Camp Meeting in the summer of 1993, I was excited to find out that there was a plethora of experts there to teach me not only about Adventist theology, but also there was a wealth of information on health, both in the person of Dr. Hans Diehl (prior to the CHIP Program) and the delightful vegetarian meals served up under the Camp Dining Tent.  I lost 40 pounds by eating the way Dr. Diehl suggested, and incorporating a walk into every day.  This was a life-changing experience for me.


The Garden Path

Since 1993 I have been serious about a healthy lifestyle, and its link to my Adventist Christian walk.  Before the advent of the Internet I attended many "Vegetarian Cooking Schools" by our local Adventist Church.  I got private coaching from my Adventist sisters (like Pat Germsheid, who gave me her lovingly-used copy of the "Eat For Strength" Uchee Pines recipe book).  

I had grown up on a farm with farmers and gardeners (my paternal grandmother was trained in horticulture) all the way back in my family line.  But I had never taken gardening very seriously until we lived in a house with a background and gardening neighbours on both sides of the fence.  Today my yard on Vancouver Island includes fruit trees, berry bushes, remedial herbs, and the usual veggie and flower gardens. One of our sons is a career food gardener and has taught us a lot about organic gardening with newer techniques that are natural and healthy or the environment.  He was the first person to pass along the information from the Back to Eden Gardening method.  You can watch the fascinating video about this way of enriching your gardening experience HERE.

Quite a number of Adventist Churches have active 'community gardens' either for members or for the community-at-large.  Here are a number of links that have to do with various aspects of being Adventist and Gardening:

Specific Light on Gardening (Quotations of Ellen G. White on gardening)
Gardening for God

Resources for Becoming Plant-Based

There are many other excellent resources-- books, videos, websites, free webinars-- so, if you are wanting to try out a plant-based, whole food diet for you and/or your family, try some of these resources.  If you have ones that you think should be included on here, please let me know in the Comments section below, and I will add them in!

Books


Videos


Websites, Youtube Videos, and Webinars

Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (including the free Jumpstart Program)
Vegan Recipes With Love (Facebook site with "Michelle Grubb Blackwood")
Jill McKeever, Plant-Based Lifestyle Support (Facebook site with "Jill McKeever")
Discovering Good Health: Videos by Dr. Barbara O'Neill, Australian Naturopath and Nutritionist



Above: Blackberry-Orange-Avocado-Goji Berry-Chia Pudding Parfait. Overnight soak 1/4 C. of well-stirred Chia seeds in 1 1/2 C. Coconut Milk and 3 T. Maple Syrup, with 1/4 C. dry Goji Berries. In morning make puree of 1 C. frozen blackberries, 3/4 very ripe avocado, 1 peeled orange.  Layer and eat! (Garnished with lemon balm leaves that grow madly in my front flower bed for just such a purpose?)
Above: Good Summer Morning Chia Pudding -- the perfect breakfast pudding when your fave berries are in season!  Recipe HERE
Above: Chocolate-Avo-Banana-Chia Pudding-- The poshy-y pudd for entertaining that special someone.  Recipe HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment